Enjoy our interesting English language facts and information and have fun learning new trivia related to the English language.
Find a range of facts related to the history of the English language, how many words there are, vocabulary origins, the alphabet, how many native speakers there are and much more. Read on and learn some cool English language information.
- English is a West Germanic Language.
- The English language spread with the growth of the British Empire, becoming the dominant language in Canada, the United States, New Zealand and Australia.
- The growing global influence of the US has further increased the spread of English.
- Today English is probably the most widely spoken language in the world, with many people learning it as a second or foreign language. It is estimated that there could be as many as 1.5 billion total English speakers worldwide.
- With over 800 million native speakers, Chinese Mandarin is the most spoken native language, followed by Spanish and English.
- The countries with the highest populations of native English speakers are the US, UK, Canada and Australia.
- English is one of six official languages of the United Nations, as well as French, Russian, Spanish, Arabic and Chinese Mandarin.
- English has a huge vocabulary, with over 250000 different words listed in the Oxford English Dictionary.
- English incorporates words from a large number of different languages. Many of these words have French, Old Norse or Dutch origins.
- Many scientific words used in the English language come from Latin or Greek.
- English is written in the Latin alphabet (also known as the Roman alphabet).